(My Boeing 777 departing for Heathrow, London, from Pearson, Toronto.)
Dear Journal,
Last night while on the plane, Shahram started talking with the girl sitting beside him who was sporting a Queen’s sweater. Turned out that not only was she in my year at Queen’s before I left, not only that we’d been in the same Psyc 100 class four years before, not only was she a Life Sci student – but she grew up with Livia Vanderdussen and had done some preliminary investigation on the Baha’i Faith due to a posting on Livia’s sister Emma’s Facebook profile.
Raised atheist, but open to new ideas because of what she had studied regarding the plasticity of the brain in neuroscience, she listened intently to what both Shahram and I told her of the teachings and life of Baha’u’llah. She was fascinated by the organization of the Faith (community consultation every 19 days, democratic elections for the leadership of the community every year) – but she was speechless when I told her about Baha’u’llah’s teachings with regards to a true seeker – she had felt she was needing something to fill a void in her life, which solely acknowledged the scientific aspect of reality.
Upon reflection, I’m coming to see how connected social reality really is, that we should sit beside someone who had heard about the Faith merely from someone’s Facebook!
Cheers,
Richard


No comments:
Post a Comment
Please let me know what you think!